Sunday, September 11, 2011

Growth and Maturity...

Since I'm sitting under this blazing hot dryer I thought I'd take a moment to reflect over the past 10 years of my life... on September 11, 2001 I was sitting in my BUSA 1900 class (Surfing the Internet for Success)--- a bird course that I decided to take my freshman year at SUWG... I didn't realize when I signed up for the course during our summer orientation that it would be one of the only classes that i truly remembered from my time at UWG.. About 45 minutes into our 8:00 a.m. class (a class I was of course not too fond of) our teacher directed us to CNN.com where we were informed of a plane flying through the first tower.... minutes later we watched as the 2nd plane went through the 2nd tower... We were immediately released from class and the rest of our classes were canceled for the day... As I left the Richard College of Business building I walked back to my dorm room (Row Hall 2E) and I was completely dumbfounded and afraid... 1) Because I had no clue what the World Trade Center was and 2) because I was afraid that an attack might come to Georgia.... Ignorance and Selfishness are the two thoughts that go through my mind as I recall that day 10 years ago...

However; 10 years later, I can't even think about the 9/11 attack or watch a movie or documentary about the attack without crying my eyes out... on August 20, 2010 I had the opportunity to stay across the street from Ground Zero at the Hilton Millenium Hotel and each night I looked out of our hotel window as the memorial site was constructed.... I can only imagine the devastation that took place on that day and the amount of pain that this national disaster caused.... 10 years later I look back with an empathetic heart and I extend my heart felt condolenses to all of those who were affected by the attack...

Looking back, I can't help but to examine why as an 18 year old freshman college student I lacked the ability to fully understand the significance of the loss that our country suffered as a nation and the individual loses that each family member/survivor suffered... I am however grateful that God has now given me the capacity to love endlessly and provided me with a new heart. I'm even learning that I've grown in my personal relationships.... One of my mother's Wendy Brewer used to always make this statement "What a Difference a Day Makes"---- Really.. Thank you God for making a difference in me....

Treesie Z.

No comments:

Post a Comment